A King’s Last Request
Sir Graham, the noblest knight in Daventry, has been called to his liege’s side for an urgent matter. King Edward the Benevolent informs him that he is getting up in years and may not have much time left.
In order to ensure the continued safety and prosperity of the country after he passes, he entrusts his knight with a sacred mission to find three lost treasures. These include a mirror that can see into the future, a shield that will protect the kingdom from war, and a chest with an unending supply of gold. It may by a fruitless journey, but Edward promises to award Graham the crown should he actually succeed.
With his head held high, the hero sets off to complete his king’s quest.
A Blast from the Past
If you’re not in the know, then a small history lesson is in order. King’s Quest I: Quest for the Crown is a hallmark in the history of gaming. It was first released in 1984 as the first adventure game to feature a graphically-interactive world as opposed to the text-based games that dominated the market back then. It launched a long series of games that to this day are regarded as undisputed classics in the genre.
It was remade in 2001 with a number of updates to improve it in many areas. This new version contains all sorts of new features, including:
• Gorgeous new 16-bit graphics that feature a greater amount of detail while giving it a classic retro look.
• User-friendly point-and-click interface and controls.
• Fully-voiced text and dialogue.
• An all new optional “Safe” mode. While this is active, you don’t need to be afraid of running into a dead end that renders the game un-winnable; you can always complete you adventure!
Explore a Vast World
The countryside of Daventry is yours! Travel through it at your own pace, discover its wonders for yourself, and solve its puzzles in any order that you choose.
• Switch between four modes of interaction, including movement, observation, activation and communication.
• Features an incredibly detailed world where just about everything can be interacted with! Every tree, rock, plant, hole and detail has a description and purpose in completing the quest.
• Take part in a variety of scenarios inspired by timeless fairy tales, including Hansel and Gretel, Rumpelstiltskin, The Three Billie Goats Gruff and more!
• Face off against a number of randomly-generated hazards. Beware of thieving dwarves, wicked witches, mighty ogres and more! Use your wits to get past them.
A Lost Treasure
If you’re a fan of the King’s Quest series, you will definitely love this gem. It has everything that was great about the original and a whole lot more! Meanwhile, if you haven’t played it yet, then what are you waiting for? It revolutionized the adventure genre and is a deep and complex game in its own right. Best of all, it’s completely free!