A lonely hitchhiker asks to be dropped off in a sleepy little town. She disappears suddenly and you drive off, only to realize moments later that she left a teddy bear in the back seat. You remember this bear from your childhood and, thinking it strange that she might have a treasured piece of your past, decide to go back to look for her.
Instead of the sleepy village, you find an abandoned set of houses. Thus begins your personal jump-out-of-your-seat horror mystery!
The Spooky Atmosphere
In Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker, the ambient sounds make it feel as though you're being watched, while the music is unassuming at first, then creates crescendos of spooky intensity as you find disturbing things. Childish drawings of gruesome deaths dot the abandoned town, and journal entries detail individuals' gradual descent into madness.
As you gather more information and solve more puzzles, the truth about the hitchhiker slowly becomes clear, enmeshing you in a story from which you cannot escape.
You will be able to approach this game as:
• a jump-out-of-seat horror title like Silent Hill
• a point-and-click inventory gathering adventure like Curse of Monkey Island
• a hidden object game that asks you to find items amid piles of junk or lush natural settings
Most of the gameplay consists of exploring areas and finding the items you need to interact with your environment. This is interrupted by hidden item searches. Be careful what you overturn! As you walk through the area, you are most certainly being watched...
How to Get In-Game Hints
• In the casual difficulty setting, interactive objects will sparkle, giving you hints about what to do next.
• You can click the hint button to locate items or get a clue about where you have to go.
• Your equipped flashlight may be invaluable at illuminating hidden areas, while your camera may give you a glimpse into the paranormal world.
If you are truly stumped, there is a "Skip" button. You can skip any level, but you have to wait a long time before you can use your skip again. This gives you time to try out the next puzzle just up to the point of frustration.
Should You Have Turned Your Car Around?
Horror fans will be sure to love Shiver: Vanishing Hitchhiker. But with an interesting story and incredible graphics, perhaps everyone should take the chance and see if this game is for you.
Do you dare?